Saturday, January 9, 2010

Appreciate Your Past.

All through out my life I have made countless mistakes. Things that at the time
I know that I shouldn't have done but couldn't resist the urge to do what I was told not to do. The outcome wasn't always positive, but it wasn't always negative.

In the last year and a half, I have had a great deal of time to reflect on the things that I have done, the reasons I have done them and to learn from each mistake that I made. To take a worthy lesson away from each heartache, each betrayal, each time I laughed so hard I cried, each happy day. There has been a lot of things that have gone on that should have made me a bitter, angry person. But regardless of how many bad things get thrown your way, I have realized that I should try to take as much good out of each outcome as I can. While in that situation it is very hard to stay strong and to stay positive, it definitely helps if you can keep a cool head under pressure. You are able to think clearer, assess the situation better, determine what path you are going to take next. Instead of being bitter and angry, and making careless mistakes thus thrusting yourself into even worse situations because you made a decision while you were reacting "in the heat of the moment."

I have been through a lot of situations where I was tested on my strength as a woman, mother, as a person. And I learned through out that that you can not take things for granted. You can't just assume that everything is going to be ok tomorrow. Because in reality, you just don't know. Anything could happen. No one is given a for sure amount of time here. You have to appreciate everything you have, everyone you have, everyday that you have them. Each milestone that your children reach, each inch they grow, every word that they learn, every time they have something silly to say to you. Every time your husband tells you that he loves you, every time he hugs or kisses you. Each day you get to spend with family or friends. Be thankful for every single blessing that you have in life.

My past, my mistakes, the things I have been through; have all molded and shaped me into the person I am today. People like to make judgments based on things done in the past, stories that they have heard through friends. But don't judge a book on it's cover. Don't judge a person based on what you heard from an ex friend or a spiteful enemy. Just because things were a certain way when they were around, honestly does not mean that it's not fabricated or change.

Some of us have emerged from the most painful situations with strong insights about who we are, what we want and what we don't want. Our mistakes? Necessary. Our frustrations, failures, and sometimes stumbling attempts at growth and progress? Necessary too. Each step of the way, we learned a valuable lesson. We went through exactly the experiences we need to, to become who we are today. Each step of the way, we progressed. Is our past a mistake? No. The only mistake we can make is mistaking the past as a regret.

People like to constantly try to cause problems for others. A lot of people don't ever seem to truly just appreciate peace and happiness. It always seems like they always want problems and drama around and are always wanting to play the "victim" or be the center of attention. No one ever really just wants to get along. They like to keep these nasty, hurtful "fights" going on and on and on. It's absolutely ridiculous. Maybe if people actually took the time to sit down, be mature and act like grown women to talk these sorts of things out. Or better yet, dropped everything when a friendship falls out. Don't speak about the other party. Maybe, just maybe, things wouldn't be like this. The miserable people who don't appreciate what they have, wouldn't constantly try to bring people down to the level of misery that consumes them. Maybe they would be able to step away from the situation and realize that they have a lot to be thankful for and they should appreciate it. Instead of worrying about whatever is going on in everyone's lives.

Today, regardless of whatever situations lay awaiting me in the future; I am free of my negative thoughts against myself. I am the best person I could and ever want to be. Because I made errors in judgment, I didn't think things through before doing them, I let myself be around toxic people who sucked everything out of me. And today, I am finally happy. I am happy that I went through every painful day, every heartache, every bad situation. I know God wouldn't have put me in those or future situations without knowing that I can handle it and emerge a better and stronger person in the end.

0 readers thoughts: