Sunday, January 10, 2010

Achievements.

Keegan has officially started walking!!! The other day he took about 4 or 5 steps before he fell down on his little butt. But all day today, every chance that he gets he is pulling himself up onto something and walking to Ryan or I. We are sooo proud of him!! I haven't caught him with a picture yet, but hopefully I will be able to soon!

I was a little worried that he wasn't developing fast enough. He has been through so much in his short life so far. But he is definitely a trooper. The first few months of his life he was plagued by an illness that no one was able to identify. He would projectile vomiting constantly. He wasn't gaining weight, he would spit up at least 1/2 of a bottle every time he drank one. I brought him to the clinic here on base. The naval hospital, Baptist Medical Center over by the Beach and finally Wolfson's Childrens Hospital. After a battle with Department of Children and Family's, they narrowed it down to being GERD and acid reflux. It was the worst 4 months of my life.

By the time they figured out what he had, he was about 12 lbs and he was born at 7lbs. So he hadn't had much growth. After finding a strict diet, strict schedule, formula and medicine that he was able to tolerate; he started thriving. Everything with DCF was dropped. I received a letter apologizing for them blaming me for my son's illness.

When it came time for him to start sitting up, rolling over, attempting to crawl is when I started getting worried. He was able to roll over but that was it. He hated tummy time with a passion. He would get so frustrated. So after a while, I decided that even if he was going to develop a little slow at least he is healthy and happy. I didn't care if he wasn't crawling at 8 or so months. It didn't bother me. When he got to be around 10 months I considered that he could skip crawling all together and just jump right to walking. While we were visiting our family in NY on leave in August, Keegan was 11 months at the time, he started crawling on my mother in laws bed while my husband and him where watching a movie. I was soooo happy for him, but really sad that I missed the first time. So I raced to my in laws house as fast as I could and sat there the rest of the day and just watched him crawl over and over and over again. It was one of the happiest days of my life. He was so happy that he was able to move by himself.

And now that he's 15 months old, and can walk short distances, he has that joy back in his eyes that he is so extremely happy that he can walk by himself now. I wish I could have captured a picture or video of him walking one of the first times he did it to be able to watch/see it all the time. Sooner than I know it, he'll be running around my house. I am such a proud mommy today! My baby isn't such a baby anymore!!

0 readers thoughts: