Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Making a difference.


God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.
-- Reinhold Niebuhr


It is so sad to see some things that happen everyday in the world, in this country. I know there isn't anything I can do about it but dwell on it and pray for things to get better. But that doesn't make it any more of a relief for me to want to change things. I have realized a lot lately that I want to do my part in making a difference in peoples lives. I want to do things that help people. Not really sure what I will need to do to gain this unquenchable want that I have. But with the devastation in Haiti, a poor little boy who was severely injured a few miles away from here, little kids being picked up off the streets and murdered, friends children or family being really sick; it really makes me want to do something to make a difference. I mean, I pray for these people, I have donated money to Haiti, I donated clothes to Goodwill this weekend, etc etc but I feel like that's not enough. It's not enough good deeds done to those who are suffering.

4 readers thoughts:

Whitney said...

Volunteering perhaps? I don't know. I've often felt this exact way and always come up empty on what to do. There's nothing wrong with doing what you're doing. You see and feel and hear what's happening all over the world and your good thoughts and prayers can do miracles all on their own.

Keri said...

I try to make it a point to do one random act of kindness every day. In doing so, I hope that I will inspire other people to think of others. I know I can't heal the world single-handedly, but if I can encourage others, we can make a bigger difference. I also try hard to teach Cameron what it means to care about other people. If we find we can get stuff free with a coupon, we buy a lot to donate, and I take him with me. When it gets below freezing temps here, we make pB&J sandwiches together and take them to the cold weather shelter. There is only so much you can do as one person, but be the change you wish to see in the world, and hope others follow suit.

Whitney said...

Keri, those are great ideas!

Erica said...

Those are all great ideas!! Thank you both soo much!! I am definitely going to start to do those things as well. I just want to help :)